6.20.2010

Pineapple

For the very first time...we bought a delicious pineapple!
For dinner tonight we had BBQ Chicken and Pineapple. While out at the BBQ our nice neighbor was out too. He proceeded to tell us of his childhood in Hawaii picking Pineapples.
We learned something tonight...
1. Most pineapple plants are only harvested two to three years, because the fruit begins to get smaller each year.
2. Pineapples do not grow on trees, as I thought they did... They come from a bromeliad plant that looks like spikes.
3. There are 2 different types of pineapples. The traditional Yellow and then the White Pineapple that is only eaten right after it is picked.
(BTW our grilled pineapple was delicious I don't know why we waited so long to buy one!)

1 comment:

Jill said...

Yeah I learned that pineapple doesn't grow on trees when I went to Hawaii. I guess I just never really thought about it, but I thought it was pretty cool so I had to take a picture.