3.21.2010

I am NOT your Breakfast!

Ok...So I have been training for a run I am doing in April...I was out early last saturday for an 8 mile run. I was up early enough to see the SUN RISE! How BEAUTIFUL! I was happily groovin' to some tunes on the ipod...running...All of a sudden 2 cyotes come running down the rocks and across the street. I stop dead in my tracks...they are 10 ft from me...what to do?? Do I turn around and go back...No...do I run across the street...No...I stand there. They stare at me for almost 5 minutes then walk away.
I proceed with my run. I am about a mile up the road and again I see (only 1 cyote this time) walk up the rocks he is about 5 ft from me. Ok....I am scared they think I am their breakfast!!
Side note:I was reading USDA Wildlife Data and due to an absence of harassment by residents, urban coyotes lose their natural fear of humans, which is further worsened by people intentionally feeding coyotes. In such situations, some coyotes have begun to act aggressively toward humans, chasing joggers and bicyclists, confronting people walking their dogs, and stalking small children.
If this doesn't scream WATCH OUT what does!!
So back to my story...The cyote runs off! Thankfully! I proceed with my run ( I still have 3 miles left and I really don't know if I should call it quits...) I finish up with the last mile which comes down along side the golf course close to our home...I see to my left 3 small rabbits sitting on the green of hole 9 ...Cute right? Will they jump at me too?? No they watched happily as I passed by!
What an experience!

4 comments:

Brian and Lindsay said...

Kim...where are you living, in the middle of the woods or something?

Danielle said...

Scary you are super brave!

Colby and Steph said...

S.C.A.R.Y!!

cassy said...

SCARY!!! I would have started crying!!!! Be careful and good luck on your run!!!